Hoot Reading is the leading online tutoring service providing 1:1, evidence-based literacy instruction at scale. Incubated on a research project at the Nokia Research Lab with Sesame Workshop (the creators of Sesame Street) and the Joan Ganz Cooney Center, Hoot Reading partners with school districts across North America to connect students with the Hoot Reading Network of teachers.
The Hoot Reading app is a web-based platform enabling synchronous, virtual literacy tutoring. The app includes proprietary diagnostic, teaching, and monitoring tools that help teachers focus on their student’s zone of proximal development.
- Teacher-led: Tutors are experienced classroom teachers with a bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D. in education and are highly qualified in early literacy instruction.
- 1:1: Personalized lessons provide each student with the skills they need to measurably improve their reading.
- Scalable: By combining the scalability of technology with the pedagogical expertise of teachers, Hoot removes barriers to evidence-based literacy instruction and brings qualified teachers to all communities for individualized reading programs.
- Data-driven: Hoot tutoring cycles include pre and post-assessments that help schools determine which students need additional support. Aggregated data can help districts make future literacy investments equitable, impactful, and cost-effective.
- Evidence-based & Aligned with the Science of Reading: Our research-backed approach to remote literacy instruction aligns with the science of reading and a structured literacy approach.
- Inclusive: 2,000+ decodable and complex multi-genre texts that prioritize diverse characters, storylines, and authors.
- Flexible and Simple: Hoot offers flexible lesson delivery with parental engagement resources to strengthen engagement and enrollment rates. Reading lessons can be delivered within school, at after-school programs, or at a student’s home.